- The Age of the Picts, by W.A. Cummins, Sutton Publishing 1998. Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk
- The Clans of the Scottish Highlands: The Costumes of the Clans by R.R. McIan, Knopf Publishers 1980. Amazon.com
- The Clans, Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands (8th Edition), by Frank Adam, Clearfield Company 1999. Amazon.com
- Collins Scottish Clan and Family Encyclopedia, by George Way of Plean, Romilly Squire. Amazon.com
- Feuds of the Clans: Together with the History of the Feuds and Conflicts among the Clans in the Northern Part of Scotland and in the Western Isles by Alexander MacGregor, Scotpress 1983. Amazon.com
- The Highland Clans: the dynastic origins, chiefs and backgrounds of the clans and some other families connected with Highland history by Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk, Barrie and Jenkins 1977. Amazon.com
- The Highland Clearances, by John Prebble, Penguin Books 1976. Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk
- Highlanders: A History of the Scottish Clans, by Fitzroy Maclean, Penguin Studio 1995. Amazon.com
- Language death: the life cycle of a Scottish Gaelic dialect , by Nancy C. Dorian, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1981. Amazon.com
- Life in Caithness and Sutherland, by Glyn Satterly. Amazon.com
- The Lion in the North: 1000 Years of Scotland’s History, by John Prebble, Coward, McCann & Geoghehan, Inc. 1971. Amazon.com
- The Northern Highlands: The Empty Lands, the Lands of Endess Natural Beauty, including Wester Ross, Caithness and Sutherland , by Tom Atkinson, Luath Press 2000. Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk
- Scotland: A Concise History by Fitzroy MacClean, Thames and Hudson 1993. Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk
- Scottish Roots: A Step-by-Step Guide for Ancestor Hunters in Scotland and Elsewhere, by Alwyn James, Pelican Publication Company 1991. Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk
- So You’re Going to Wear the Kilt, by J. Charles Thompson. Amazon.com
- Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, by Elizabeth Beaton, The Rutland Press, 1995, Available from the Clan Room at Dunrobin Castle. Email ClanSuthScot@btinternet.comfor more information.
- Sutherland and Caithness in Saga Time, by James Gray, Oliver and Boyd 1922.
- The Sutherland Clearances, 1806-1820; a Documentary Survey. Amazon.com
- The Tyranny of Tide: An Oral History of the East Sutherland Fisherfolk, by Nancy C. Dorian, Karoma Publishers, Inc., 1985. Amazon.com
Some of these books are believed to be out of print. However, out of print books can usually still be obtained. You may also wish to try to following websites:
- The CD Sutherland Schools Pipe Band, The Sutherland Schools Pipe Band is based in Golspie High School. The band includes boys and girls aged 11 to 17 years from various villages in the county of Sutherland. The band has travelled extensively throughout Scotland, and to Europe and to the United States. Their excellent CD can be purchased for £10, plus shipping & handling. Email email@example.com, or contact
Mrs. Bonnie Stewart, Glynwood, Fountain Road, Golspie, KW10 6TH, United Kingdom
for details. Visit their website athttp://www.golspie.org.uk/spb.htm.
- The CD Clan Sutherland Pipe Band: Pipes and Drums of Scotland, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk.