Apply for Membership
Anyone of a Sutherland lineage, a lineage of one of the Septs including
Cheyne, Clyne, Duffus, Federith, Gray, Keith, Mowat, Murray and Oliphant,
or of another associated family is invited to join
(regardless of any spelling variations). Relation by marraige is acceptable.
- To promote a spirit of kinship within the Clan by providing a focal point for expressing Clan sentiment and to keep Clansmen in touch with others throughout the world.
- To promote freindship and loyalty among members, to stimulate an appreciation of accomplishments of members and to hold meetings for the better realization of such purposes.
- To promote public knowledge of and interest in the local, national and world-wide history and traditions of Clan Sutherland.
- To add a deeper understanding of the cultural background of the Clan by encouraging the publication of informative manuscripts of a scholarly character dealing with the history, language, music, literature and other aspects of the Clan's past.
- To cooperate with the Clan Sutherland Society in Scotland by contributing materials and assistance toward the development of an information archives center for records and genealogy of the Clan, especially its overseas members, and by assisting in the conservation of places and scenery traditionally associated with the Clan.
Benefits of membership include:
- A subscription to our newsletter The Dunrobin Piper
- Genealogical assistance
- An annual membership card
- A current membership roster
- A membership handbook
- Contact with those of a common heritage
At this time we are not prepared to accept dues over the Internet. However, a "printer friendly" application and a genealogy form are available through the links below. One of the objectives of the Clan Sutherland Society of North America, Inc. is to build a database of genealogical information. Please provide what genealogical information you have about your family with your application. The first entry on the genealogy form would be for yourself or your spouse, the next for your parents or you spouse's parents, the third grandparents, and so on. You may make copies of this page as needed to continue the line. If your decent is from more than one branch, please start continuation sheets with the generation in which the lines diverge. Information about children and other relatives can be recorded on family group sheets that are available upon request. Completed applications can be sent to our treasurer:
Richard Langford, 1106 Horseshoe Lane, Blacksburg, VA 24060.
These pages are available in the Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format. To view the document, you will need to have the Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not already have this, it can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website at http://www.adobe.com.